lundi 16 septembre 2013

Well I didn't expect that.



Ok once again I got back in time just as it look like things are moving forward, but that's unintentional on my part (I swear). I first wanted to write about Henry Carey as a tournament (apparently he was quite good at it if luminarium is to be believe) and it would make sense since his characterisation  is essentially the one of a guy that love to fight.

My research however brought me to a most interesting book that turned to be much more informative than I initially believed. The Devon Carys a 1920 book that actually turn out to rifle with information on Henry Carey. It  has a lot of information and it seem to verify (I don't think that I'd consider him under the influence of his mother). I won't cover everything mention in the book, but at least go to the point I am now.  Let us start at page 325

Just a few things on the book, before I go to what actually got my attention in the book.

-Harrison (the author) put down the marriage in London citing the book I've already mention on the matter, though his reading a wee bit different than mine and instead assume that the mention of "of the family of the king" is not a refering to Henry, but to Anne (refering to the household probably because of a post she was holding). Amusingly enough in contrast to the "romantic" interpretation of William Standford/Mary Boleyn that we have nowaday, Harrison say that his mother probably would have been disappointed by his marriage. I wonder what exactly is meant when he say that she brought him something of a character.

- Can't find a picture of the miniature (I think its the one called potrait of Lady Hunsdon by Levina Teerlic, it annoy me to no end)

-Henry did not only only voted for the reunion with Rome, but also for Edward VI prayer book.
Now here something that blew my mind

Henry Carey may have been accused of taking part in some divination and apparently was accuse of sending enchantement against the queen life.

Ok doing a nativity its sorta like doing an horoscope, but apparently at the time it was considering pretty bad (considering apparently the group is accused of killing a child and blind the other). (Page 328-329) Its a thing that don't quite fit, since I haven't found anything that remotely tied John Dee and Henry Carey together so far. Heck its just refer to a Carey and has no mention whatsoever of him being our man and the letter itself come from anyone tied directly to Henry, although the letter does seem to indicate that we are talking about people in Elizabeth household. (here some more source), but while Dee did indeed got in trouble over the incident, Henry seem to have gotten off without trouble. Then again the letter is dated from June and according to Charlotte Fell Smith biography, Dee was out by august.

Apparently it was by 1553 that Elizabeth and John Dee first got in touch and would continue to service her for many years. So I'm incline to think that Henry got accuse because he too was working with Elizabeth at the time.

(hum someone giving +1 to my article, I wonder who it is, whoever its is thank you)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire