vendredi 6 septembre 2013

Henry in Fiction



(I sorta wanted to write more in details about Henry times in Mary parliament, but while I though I'd find stuff, so here some filler)

I think I've talk about this before, but while Henry Carey has appeared in a number of historical novel he hardly ever a protagonist or even an important when portray in fiction, usually overshadowed by a lot of other character who are considerably more famous, though at the same time a lot of them I think are better fit for work of fiction.  Hell even as a secondary player he seem to be subdue to the bare minimum and what you can find in the most basic research. Part of it, I think is because of the way he lived his life, the man didn't seem to be much of schemer with big ambition (Since he pretty much served Elizabeth with utmost loyalty) he didn't do a lot of thing worth bragging about or his had a particularly dramatic life. 

So far I think I've seen a few ways Henry Carey was displayed, it's not really a thorough look, mostly a few observation.

Henry Carey the son of Mary Boleyn
You can see that in the other Boleyn girl and the last Boleyn.  It would usually cover-up up to Mary death, he don't require much characterisation aside from being a child, but his unsure paternity and the up and down of Mary life make for drama and he can be used has some sort of token in power play (and he is too young to be a player in these thing).

Henry Carey, courtier of Elizabeth

Inevitable, though I don't think I have seen one book that focus a lot of Henry and Elizabeth relationship. Though the Poyson Garden by Karen Harper seem to have a bit more about it, but I can't find a way  to read it properly. He usually show without much characterisation aside for being supportive of her. Though you can read the usual description of him being a rough and tumble kind of guy

Henry Carey, Patron of the art
In his later year, his time has lord chamberlain pop-up, though not so much because of the connection to Shakespeare, but rather to the dark lady, his mistress Emilia Lanier.  Though considering he bite dust shortly afterward, he's usually don't do much.

Here something for you to read a thesis/novel on Emilia Lanier which features Hunsdon.
http://bura.brunel.ac.uk/handle/2438/7435

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire