mercredi 4 septembre 2013

Support Elizabeth



I am compel to think than most of what define the relation between and the future Queen Elizabeth came from the years during the reign of Mary Tudor (mind you the fact that they are cousin probably played a lot). Though aside from the reference to Henry trying to match her up with the duke of Savoy, there is one I came on that boggle my mind a bit more than it should.



It comes from memories of the court of Queen Elizabeth (christ that book almost 200 years old and you can find find it at page 243) but you can even find reference to it in Weir book. Essentially, Henry Carey gave away thousands of pounds to Elizabeth during her  time in the tower of London around 1554. 


Now while I have no reason to doubt this at the same time I can't help but feel that this should have more credential. Mostly because it is a very vague amount and usually financial book keeping has been more reliable and also they don't seem to be any reference to where Lucy Aikin essentially got that fact I have to take it at face value somewhat.


Plus I do wonder where exactly Henry had thousands of pounds to spare or how he got them to the tower or something that would be probably be clandestine (considering that Elizabeth is in jail at the time), though if you look at Aikin she mention that those thousands of pounds were given to her during her emprisonnement with no specific mention of the tower of London (while she famously did spend time there, it was for about  so it might have been given to her during her time where she was under house arrest and perhaps the reason why Henry was in money trouble during that period was because he was shuffling fund to Elizabeth, but that's just me speculating.


I also saw that apparently Buckinghamshire was apparently the place of pro-Mary uprising, considering Henry might have been there I wonder if it affected him in some way. At around page 8 )
 

(Also if Henry Carey expedition to the duke of Savoy being something of a ploy by Elizabeth seem to be confirm my Elizabeth I : a life by David Loades around 92-93 as it being essentially a distraction)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire