vendredi 2 août 2013

Welcome to the Henry Carey project



So what is the Henry Carey project? Well it's an amateur project looking to gather has much information as possible on the person of Henry Carey. A man who lived in the 16th century Its built on a whim and strange interest this man seem to stir in him. My objective is to simply gather has much information as possible on the person and chronicle my research.  Let see how far it goes.
Let me elaborate.

Just who is Henry Carey?
Henry Carey was the first baron of Hunsdon, he lived from march 4 1526 to July 23 1596.Aside from his baron title, he was a patron of the art, held many military offices during his lifetime, was the husband of Anne Morgan, work in politic and was the father of  a dozen or so offspring and that is if you resume in the roughest possible term possible.

While like I'm trying to make him sound as a man of astonishing achievement, his weight in the era isn't exactly the mightiest when compare to some of his contemporaries.  However, one thing that I think that make Henry Carey such an interesting character to research is that he is a man that brushes with some of the mightiest people of Tudor-era England. He is a man that touch history as its being made. Henry Carey is rumoured to be Henry VIII bastard son, officially he is the nephew of Anne Boleyn, the Queen Elizabeth I referred to him as his cousin and he is one of the early patron of Shakespeare. The man may just be a supporting player in the grand machine of history, but I believe it is worthy enough of at least one person giving him an examination.

Why?
One reason is that it's entertaining to do, a fairly harmless intellectual exercise. There is a thrill to hunt down information and hopefully discover something out of it. Then again, I'm probably going to be gathering what other been doing and put it all here into a more concise body of work, along with more my own thoughts on the matter.  Henry Carey a man you usually find pieces of spread around, but they aren't really anything dedicated to him.  So far the book who has given the most information on the character is Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings by Alison Weir where most the book is about his mother, though she does do a lot of research about the baron.  One that was a little bit more focus on him was Durham university thesis that researched his work on the border of Scotland.  (I will try to elaborate more on those item in the future).

aside from the character himself, I think the challenge an interesting one, difficult, but doable.  Henry Carey his big enough to have left some trace, but not interesting for most to focus solely on him for the most part, though I doubt I'll discover anything particularly new, unless I start going to England more often. I also think it will show just what is available for research to the public in our lifetime.  I don't think any of this would have been remotely possible without the power of the internet. Most of the source would have been out of reach for someone living on the side of the Atlantic and harder to research.

You know, basing yourself mostly on amateur internet research and perusing a few book, probably not the best way to research someone.
Yes, I feel I have a high potential  of screwing up history, I'm far from being an expert, I only have one bachelor in history from UQAC and a license in archiving and Tudor England is only one of the many period of history that interest, this probably will not be something that is worthy of print (Why do you think I am doing this on a blog).
Hopefully, if I'm terrible at my job, I might stimulate people into doing it better than me, but really I'm feeling fairly positive about the result of all this. Aside from his possible royal parentage, Henry Carey isn't exactly a controversial character and most can be given some level of answer I believe.

Why is your English so goddamn terrible at time?
Sorry it's my second language, I learned it at an early age by soaking in a lot of TV, but my location is probably one of the most francophone place in Quebec, so I never really got the chance to  really get immerse into it (plus I tend to forget to type in word at time).

 The reason I use english here is because being a british person, I think its more likely that my audience will be english speaking. I might do french version of my postings if the need arise.

So here we go

1 commentaire:

  1. Good to see more Ah.comers joining the blogosphere - I'll follow with interest!

    RépondreSupprimer