samedi 3 août 2013

So what I know so far? Wikipedian adventure



Well I learned about Henry Carey in January 2 2013, when I asked about possible character for the Queen Mary era set RPG the thorn birds (since it's the reason they are the reason I am doing the project in the first place might as well plug them, but I will also tell you that in its french).  They gave the name and a basic outline of his life up to 1553.



Being a sucker for sucker for trying to do something that is the most historically accurate possible, I've had to do research. I think the RPG mold a lot of what I was focous on up until now.  Since I was playing a character, I tried my best to find thing that would describe his personality in some fashion (an insane task considering how very little historical people gave trace of how their personality could be, so far I've gotten one source that give some insight into what he was like ) and his earlier life (since I only had to  know what was his life up until 1553). I will try to make the project sure the project goes from his birth and to his dead, even if its a bit out of my confort zone. 



Back on topic, how did I learn more about Henry carey back then ?As any young man my age I Wikipedia first


I know its, probably not the best option when researching semi-obscure character (tried to do the same for a war of the rose rpg and let me tell you it had much less success), but I will say that Wikipedia is a very good tool overall to give an introduction on the character. It give you a quick answer to an easy question,  most of the information on Henry Carey on the article seem to verify. I've went to it so much time I'm pretty sure the baron of Hunsdon didn't have the top billing in the search engine until  I came around.  (My rpg avatar actually get to be onof google image search for Henry Carey :D )


let us go through it, it will reveal some of my question about Henry Carey.


His date of birth is interesting because unlike most it is very precise, if you check the article about his relative (even the considerably more famous Anne Boleyn is only given a circa 1501). I never was able to find  a primary source that gave that information directly to me. I don't really have a reason to think its inaccurate. (same goes for the date of his marriage and death), but it's a nagging detail. (Since I've worked at a genealogy society and in church records, I tend to assume such record are readily available, then again most of the time it didn't go as far as 500 years in the past). 


One thing I've come to be unsure is to where exactly Henry Carey spent his time after being he became the ward of Anne Boleyn (and later own the crowd).  Wiki give him at Cistercians monastery. weir (1) and apparently (2)  Josephine Wilkinson give it more precision with him being Woburn Abbey in Bedfordshire. 



Aside from his marriage and his years as PM for Buckingham, Wikipedia skip over his early days for the most part. It isn't surprising as most information on the this part is rather diffuse, but I've managed to gather more with time (and will write more on this topic eventually).

  
I think the article could use a few more citation, especially from parliament history online (another future topic). I'm fairly confident I could find the primary source for the letter of Elizabeth to Henry, however I'm not sure I'll find one for the it's the one attributed to him in his last days.


While the article seem to mostly underline his military career, Henry Carey actually had ambassadorial duty in his life, though not has noticeable as his. I really don't know much about the northern rebellion or Scotland or British relationship at the, so I don't think I will write much about it for the moment.


if you notice in the disambiguation page there is mention of Henry Carey that died in 1581 who was MP of both Buckinghamshire and Berwick-upon-Tweed which follow the life of our Baron.It is his son Sorta sad he died before his father. As for the other entry in disambiguation, they sometime cause trouble on google, mostly the economist and the author, but not too much.



Wikipedia giving the list of his children fairly particular, while 16 are given here, most will give you 12 (the thesis I've mention in my opening article do give more detail on it), the four additional one being some that died of early age, where wiki pulls out those I'm not too sure.   Finding the birth date and order of the children is no easy task. Finding details on his bastard Valentine Carey, also seem to hard and if he indeed had another with Emilia Lanier though I think more research is needed.


 This only the begining they are many thing I've seen in the recent month, I have yet to write about.



(1) Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of KingsBy Alison Weir page 234
(2) http://www.theanneboleynfiles.com/mary-boleyn-part-three-1526-1543/  - citing Mary Boleyn: The True Story of Henry VIII’s Favourite Mistress, Josephine Wilkinson at page 172 (which is sadly out of reach of my google preview, I should try to see if I can some of these books on amazon)
 

2 commentaires:

  1. I agree, wiki's a much better source than it gets credit for. You obviously don't want to use it as a source in an academic paper, but who uses an encyclopedia of any kind for that purpose? And it's great if you want a bibliography on some topic, or just need a ten-minute brief on something.

    -asnys

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Yay first comment :)

    Well I sorta saw a change of attitude toward Wikipedia at my university going where it became more acceptable with time. However, I still tried to find the info it claimed somewhere else and use it as source even after we were told it was ok to use it.

    RépondreSupprimer