mardi 8 octobre 2013

To be Frank



My perusing on various topic, brough me something unexpected that I seem to have overlook, mainly Henry apparent involvement with the Marian exile.

Just for a little bit of context, Marian exile are essentially protestant who decided to go out of England once Queen Mary tried to bring back England into the catholic church. Amongst them was Catherine Carey, Henry as I mention before, Henry preferred to stay, but was involved in preventing the ceasing of the asset of the exiled. 

With Elizabeth ascension to the throne, Henry seem to have been a part of something called the "Frankfurt refusal" where the protestant in Frankfurt decided not to join in those in Geneva in anti-ceremonial crusade and to tell the exiles they would be part of the coming religious reform.  THough he wasn't acting on his own accord here, but as an agent of the British government .

However is involvement isn't 100%, it is mostly brought forth by the one book on Marian exile I've found. (Source and here ) that tell us that the name "Henry Carowe" is in fact Henry Carey (I think this is believable, considering just how many way I've seen Carey being spelled down and how apparently the guy vanish afterward, despite being a government courier)

You can find the declaration in question here at page CLXXXVII. 

On a smaller note, Marian exiles, seem to talk about how Sir John Carey was Mary custodian at Hunsdon (Henry Uncle remember him) was (page 319) before Edward death (and his own),  when I see that kind of thing I keep wondering if it had any reason in the choice of this particular barony for Henry.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire